Sunday, November 25, 2007

Wedded Bliss

Charles and I trekked up to North Louisiana for Thanksgiving and his brother Mike's wedding.

Charles had me up and out of the house at 4:30 AM. Goodness what a crazy hour! But I think it really did help shave off a lot of the Thanksgiving traffic. About an hour of so after we arrived we dug into the huge spread that Charles' mom, Marsha, and step dad, Alton, fixed for us. It included a roasted turkey, a fried turkey, a fried pork tenderloin, a Honey-Baked ham, gumbo, green beans, corn casserole (my fav), broccoli casserole, rolls and pies. I'm sure I forgot something.

After the trip and the huge meal it sent me to Thanksgiving Day Nap Land. My own personal tradition.

Friday was the big day for Mike, April, Hagen and Will. Marsha and I headed out, picked up Aunt Jean, stopped by Nannie's house to apply her make up, drove by the Sonic for some liquid caffeine and finally made it to Creekwood Gardens to help with final decorations. Photographs for the bridal party and family members began an hour or so before the ceremony.

It was a beautiful event in the conservatory, which was surrounded by lush foliage and wonderfully warm heaters. Outside it was between 30-40 degrees. Burrrr.

After the event the reception began in the same area and included crackers with cream cheese and jalapeno jelly, boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, veggies and gumbo. It was funny for me, this girl from Texas. I expect the fajitas and Tex-Mex to roll out, but we weren't in Texas anymore and those Louisianans like their shrimp and gumbo! We finished off the spread with bridal cake and a groom's chocolate cake.

April was so thoughtful that she even had a kiddie table with a big cookie cake, a lollipop tree and boxed spiderman treats with tattoos. A neat touch considering this was the melding of their two boys Hagen and Will as well.

Nineteen years after their first date, Mike and April's event was absolutely lovely deep in the piney woods of Louisiana.

Congratulations and many happy years ahead, Mike, April, Hagen and Will!

No comments: