Sunday, November 4, 2007

Goal accomplished


One of my goals, okay one of my goals last year, was to complete a 5k event and today marked that day. Today was the Susan G. Komen Austin Race for the Cure. And wouldn't you know it, it was also the day that we set our clocks back for Daylight Saving Time. Silly people.

I use my Treo 650 for everything including my alarm clock and I was concerned that although it would change time on its own, what if it didn't change it correctly and I woke up late and missed meeting up with my team mates for the event. Not wanting to take chances I asked Charles, who is off work today, to set his alarm for the normal 5:30 am. No questions asked, he did it. Good man.

I slept okay, but started waking up on my own around 5:00 am probably simply because of the adrenaline. Once awake I dressed quickly and surprisingly for me, I'm not one who is often early or on time, I made it to our groups rendezvous location 20 minutes early. Woohoo!

Shannon was there already waiting with her horse of a dog Otis, then came Kellie, Dan, Lisa, Leon, Isabel, Heather, Kate, Jeff and Mike. We kept looking for Sueann and Michael and Ahmed to join us, but they never did. We ventured from our meeting spot to the start line.

My goodness there were a lot of folks and lots of pink. I overheard estimates of about 25,000 people. That's a lot of bodies. After a couple of crowd waves and watching the first folks from the timed race whiz by, we were off. I was off on my first 5k ever. Oh, lordy, perhaps I should have started an exercise program . . .

Lisa was kind enough to lag behind with me as the last of our pack. I had no idea how hilly downtown Austin was, nor did I realized how many things I've missed visiting, shopping or dining at in our beautiful capital city. Hmm. Note to self: Get out more.

Afterwards, Kellie, Dan, Mike and I went to brunch nearby at Threadgills. Walking back to the car was especially painful. After I got home and woke from my nap and explained my heel pain on Twitter, joec0914, suggested that it might be Plantar fasciitis and I think he might be right. So, I've taken some naproxene sodium (Aleve) and been icing my heel. Fun. Fun.

Overall it was an exhilarating experience and one I would take part in again.

Oh, and can't forget to mention these two cool gals we met at the finish line. Boy, they understand exactly what this is all about - the boobs!




3 comments:

KrisRobinson said...

Good for you! I've only ever done one 5k and I should do more. Do you feel a sense of accomplishment? Do you want to do more?

Kim Haynes Hollenshead said...

Absolutely, I feel a sense of accomplishment. It's a great feeling. And, yep, I'm pretty sure I'll continue to do more. Which is a very exciting thing for me to say!

Anonymous said...

Good job. I finished my first 5k at age 40 and then only three months later my first 10k. You can do it.