Wednesday, December 3, 2008
A few employees really got into the holiday spirit by doing their own rendition of Feliz Navidad!
10,000 Villages of Austin is an amazing little shop in Austin's So-Co (South Congress) neighborhood filled to the brim with great artwork, home decor, toys, clothing, jewelry and more. Each piece indicates the country of origin and many of them have information about the artisan, but if it's not clear the store volunteers just input the item code and can give you a full story of its maker.
If you're in Austin today (Wed., Dec. 3) we'd love to have you join us tonight!
This year, my new employer, Kershner Trading has partnered with Ten Thousand Village's Austin's SoCo location and Caritas of Austin to create a unity holiday shopping evening.
When: December 3 from 5-8 pm
Where: 10,000 Villages, 1317 S. Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704
Come support two great charitable causes and find unique gift ideas for the upcoming holidays. For those unfamiliar with 10,000 Villages, here is the mission statement from their webpage:
At Ten Thousand Villages, we work with over 120 artisan groups in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America to bring you fair trade jewelry, home decor, gifts and more. As one of the world's oldest and largest fair trade organizations, we build long-term relationships with artisans that are based on mutual understanding and respect. Fair trade enables artisans to earn a fair wage and provides the opportunity for a better quality of life.
Additionally, since Kershner is sponsoring the event through their volunteer support, we are able to donate 20% of the total sales from 5-8 PM to Caritas of Austin. Caritas is another great organization fighting hunger, homelessness, and poverty in our greater Austin community.
Questions? Please contact me.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
For my portion of the talk I spoke to students and shared with them keys to successfully making sure that hiring managers take notice of them in our Web 2.0 world. It's important to know that as the web continues to grow and the wealth of information expands exponentially that they use the skills they're developing and their natural inquisitiveness.
You can watch the recorded podcast here: Web 2.0. (apologies up front - not great audio or video - promise the next one will be 100% better)
And download the slide presentation here: slideshare
And finally check out the Texas State Mass Communications site for a brief documentation of the entire presentation.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Friday, October 10, 2008
This is a super exciting honor for me as I'm a TX State (SWT) alumni and hold my degree in Journalism, it became Mass Communications the following semester, with a focus in Advertising.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
But since Katrina and then Rita, people from home and my family in particular, take the warnings a bit more seriously.
Today my family is evacuating from the Gulf Coast and headed to Central Texas. Tough to keep my mind on work when I'm thinking of all the things back at my house I'd like to do to be better prepared for the arrival.
As we sit and wait . . .
Monday, August 11, 2008
A vast number of job openings never make it to the newspaper or job boards.
These positions are often referred to as the "hidden job market." Candidates
find out about these positions through word of mouth. The higher up the ladder
you go, the more likely a position will be filled this way.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
One with the special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Two conferences: http://www.netrootsnation.org/ and http://www.blogher.com/blogher_conference/conf
and one of my coworkers and I will be there to make sure they connect via http://www.oovoo.com/.
This is the panel in particular: http://www.netrootsnation.org/node/867
And today’s New York Times article on the event: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/us/politics/16web-seelye.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
I think it’s pretty nifty that some of my online connections feel good enough about me that they trust me and our team to help them when they're in a pinch. Good stuff.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Friday, July 4, 2008
I haven't taken it quite as far as he does though. He makes sure his neighbors get in the 4th of July spirit by distributing flags and placing them in their yards too.
Monday, June 30, 2008
The idea is to gather with some friends from your favorite social network — Twitter, Plurk, Ning, Facebook, for example — at your local blood donation center and give a few pints for a good cause. It’s especially timely this Thursday, which is the day before a major summer holiday, when the blood banks need extra inventory.
Choose a sign-up time for the Austin blood drive here. And if you organize a drive in another location, please let us know in the comments below.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
- Lead the software development team in estimating, planning, designing and coding of software applications
- Mentor developers by contributing best practices and holding code reviews
- Ensure that all code retains logical stability, reliability, confidentiality and integrity
- Manage source code versioning and system release schedule
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
- Meet with decision makers, systems owners and end users to define business, financial and operations requirements and systems goals as well as to identify and resolve systems issues
- Stay on top of industry changes and drive innovation of the Bulldog Solutions products
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in computer science or MIS
- 5+ years development experience in fast-paced, technology company
- Expert knowledge of ASP.Net [preferably ASP.NET 2.0] and Web Services development using both VB & C#
- Expertise in database design, data architecture to support systems development (preferably in a SQL Server environment)
- Web UI design exposure including basic principles and patterns
Proven success mentoring junior developers (previous experience in lead developer role is a plus)
- System integration, SOA architecture design, implementation and management is a plus
CMS (or WCMS) implementation and customization familiarity
- Proven experience working in environments where software applications are being built from scratch (concept to deployment)
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous personal improvement of business and technical skills, including the ability to learn and apply new technologies and techniques
- Microsoft developer/architect certifications are a plus
The successful candidate will posses expertise in both written and interpersonal communication and be at ease with public speaking, in relationship building, and in collaboration in a cross-functional team comprised of diverse personalities, skill sets, and levels of experience. Excellent organizational skills, focus, and attention to detail are a must, as is the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and energetic environment.
Description of relationships and roles
Candidate must demonstrate a proven track record of obtaining results without direct report authority.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience; health care plans including medical, dental, and vision; a bonus plan; corporate fitness discounts as well as various other employee benefits in an energetic and cutting-edge work environment.
To be considered an applicant, you must apply for this specific position and meet its minimum qualifications as determined by Bulldog Solutions. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility of the jobholder. Certain features of this job are described in the above headings, but are not necessarily limited to the above written statements. They may be subject to review. All positions within Bulldog Solutions may include other duties as assigned.
This is a full-time, regular position in our offices in Austin, Texas. As this is an immediate need, local candidates will be given more serious consideration. We are not offering relocation packages.
NO SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION. U.S. CITIZENS OR GREEN CARD HOLDERS ONLY PLEASE.
Please forward your resume to email@example.com.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Monday, May 5, 2008
Saturday, May 3, 2008
For Charles and I both of these dates are pretty big milestones too as Jareck will be moving in with us on Tuesday. He'll be leaving the familiar of Homer, Louisiana and setting off to a new adventure of adulthood.
We're of course hoping that he secures a well paying job that will help him save money towards college. I also suspect he'll be learning a lot more about himself and us within the coming months.
So, he knows that I'm truly excited and thrilled about his arrival this is my first public shout out - Welcome Jareck, can't wait to have you here!
Monday, April 28, 2008
Friday, April 25, 2008
- Don’t send me resumes. Connect with me. I’m easy to find.
- Give me an elevator pitch on why you are the person we’ve described.
- Send me (via whatever electronic method you deem most efficient) a short list of what you’ve done and where I can find evidence of it. Or have a full profile on LinkedIn. It’s easier that way.
- If your profiles are hard to link to you on social media sites, tell me which are yours and what you’re hiding.
- Understand this will be a competitive search and I’m hiring one person. Be outstanding.