Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Leading the Lost

Are you an expert?

Webster defines an expert as:

One with the special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject

Have you worked in the same area for a while? Have you studied a particular subject in depth? Could you share some of your insight with others?

Most of us are an expert in something whether or not we realize it. If you're a stay-at-home mom you may be an expert of hushing a tired toddler. If you're well organized you may have the keys to keeping a closet uncluttered. You don't need to have an advanced degree to be an expert. You simply have to have enough of a passion to become good at something.

More and more I've been called on to lend my HR / Recruiting expertise to associates and new friends. I'm happy to do it.

I know that by no means do I have all the wisdom to impart on others. But I'm willing. I love to share. I love to help. I think sometimes it's tough to ask for assistance and I'm honored when others approach me.

Often I'm asked to meet for coffee or a chat and I meet every single time not suspecting anything in return aside from someone feeling like I listened and cared.

How about you? Are you sharing your expertise? Are you imparting the knowledge that you have with others that could use it? If you do share your knowledge, are you doing it to help someone else or to just to show off?

Learn how to give for giving sake. Ask for nothing in return. Share. Choose to make a difference in someone else's life today.

5 comments:

joeyTWOwheels said...

Nice post.

I agree, we should always share. Blogs and Knols and social events are great ways to share, and to get new business. Ad a hired gun for many an agency, I can say my reputation came before me mostly because of speaking engagements.

But the one thing I feel strongly about is self diagnosis of expert status. More and more people these days aren't putting in the time, or they have too narrow of a focus and miss the big picture.

DJ-RJ said...

Great post Kim!

Jim Cahill said...

Hi Kim, I saw your tweet... great post!

One thing I preach is that too much expertise is trapped in people's email inboxes and sent items folders.

We've set up internal blogs so that anyone with the inclination can share their expertise. We have a Google box which crawls these blogs and other intranet sites and exposes this wisdom to others googling for answers.

This helps get "newbies" up to speed quicker.

Blogs are definitely not for everyone since they require commitment and persistence, but for those willing to share, it can save a lot of time not answering the same questions over and over.

Take it easy,
Jim Cahill
http://www.EmersonProcessXperts.com

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOhhhhhh... how I beg God to give me opportunities to give away my expertise.

I have been in IT for 15 years. I hate it. I want to get out so bad and do something much more substantial.

But I count on God for:
1. Be my Master Technician - I hate doing what I do so much and yet I want to bring honour to my employer. I asked God to be my expertise in all things Systems Administration. If it was left up to me, I would have an ass attitude every time I had to do something the very least technical.

2. Opportunities to use my skills to help others

I will say this. Since I have been in IT for 15 years (part of that was the dotcom bubble burst), I consider myself an expert in all things job hunting. My brother and I will cleanup resumes and then get them in contact with headhunters and resources to find new jobs. We do this for no charge.

jennifer west said...

Kim! Your blog looks so fancy with all the extra techy stuff ;)