Saturday, December 8, 2007

What we do for love

Made the trek from the Austin area to the Houston area (approximately 3.5 hour drive) for the second weekend in a row. Last weekend I set up a booth for Crimson Threads and had my friend Jamie, my mom, my sister and my niece, Claire, help me sell product. This weekend I had the pleasure of chaparoning Claire at a cheer competition in Houston.

The whole ordeal brought me back to my days as a cheerleader. Yep, I was one of those a gazillion years ago. We went to a few competitions and even made it as far as national competition and performed on ESPN at Disney World.

Claire's generation has evolved quite a bit from my days in short skirts. Claire's group was the only one in the Jr. Pom Pom division. There were a ton of Hip-Hop or Street groups and then there was the more traditional cheerleading with lots of flips and girls popping up over other girls shoulders.

The event schedule showed groups competing as early at 7 am this morning until way past 9 pm. Whew! I was happy to know we only had to spend a few hours of our day amidst what felt like a million people and most of those millions in pony tails and lots of glitter.

It was fun though and I also have such a hoot spending time with Claire.

No comments: