Sunday, March 2, 2008

Let's Go Fly a Kite

This was the song playing in my head as I got dressed this morning. Okay. This is the song I was singing out loud as I got dressed this morning.





After church today I joined a couple of friends to attend my first ever Zilker Park Kite Festival. In it's 80th year, it seems that there are a number of folks who have attended it and known about its existence much longer than myself. There must have been thousands of people, families, kiddos, moms, dads, grandparents and lots of dogs.

Seemed that most folks were actually flying their own kites and then there were professional kite flyers with contraptions that must have been as large as my house. The professionals did kite acrobatics to new age jazz music that was broadcast throughout the event via huge speakers.

All kinds of colors and shapes and sizes and amazingly I didn't see one political one and yet we have the US President Texas primaries happening in two days. My favorites included tails with spinny things on them. There was a beareded dragon that was beautiful, lots of butterflies, a few Austin bats, and even a flying man.

Check out all the photos from the event on my Flickr site.

Yet another reason why I LOVE Austin so much with all it's weirdness. Keep Austin Weird!

No comments: