Saturday, August 25, 2007

Take Me Away In Your Flying Machine

Charles and I ventured down to Lady Bird Lake (formerly Town Lake) in downtown Austin this evening to watch Redbull's Flugtag event.

According to Wikipedia, Flugtag is an event in which competitors attempt to fly in homemade flying machines.

Oh my goodness, I've never seen so many people. Charles' thought is there were probably 20,000 or so. I'm anxious to see the newspaper tomorrow to see what official estimates where.

It was incredibly hot in addition to being overcrowded. Our expectation was to go to the "official" side, but we quickly deduced that there was NO WAY to get through the masses to the other side. So, we finally settled into the spot where this video was shot and peered through branches.

Fun nonetheless, but we never saw a single contraption fly. I guess that's part of the fun -watching the crashes.



Austin, Texas Redbull Flugtag 2007 from Kim and Vimeo.

No comments: